The kids and I took advantage of one of the last nice days this fall by driving down to the local national park. Admision was free for Veteran's Day weekend and we ended up with a warm, sunny day, perfect for walking around. I told the kids to look for animals. I'm pretty sure Grace has been watching too much Dora the Explorer. Dora always has to find some object or animal and has the viewing audience participate by saying: When you see (insert animal here) say: (animal name)! Grace was directing us from the backseat saying: When you see a buffalo, say buffalo, buffalo! We found the herd right away. They were quite a distance from the road, grazing up on a hillside.
On the way back out of the park they were a whole lot closer! Look down the road a little, you can see one big guy laying right on the center line. I estimated there must be around twenty in the group we saw. They were spread out on the road and sprinled in the grass beside it for maybe two hundred yards.
Grace and Micah had a good time, they found some rocks to climb on at the first place we stopped to hike. I took JJ out of his carseat and carried him for a while, I think he liked being out and looking around.
The park also has a heard of longhorn cattle, we didn't see them last time. They were realy far away, grazing along a tree line near the river.
I brought some food and we had a little snack at the first stop. JJ was pretty excited about the lunch!
Micah and Grace had a good time. We walked the path again we had taken with my parents and they collected sticks while we were walking. When we got to the river they stood up on the high bank and tried to throw the bundles they had collected into the river.
I'm really glad we decided to go out to the park, the day ended up warm and sunny and we had a great time. Last time we saw a buffalo walking through the path we had just left so I was constantly looking over my shoulder to see if they were back while we walked. We didn't see anything while we were walking which made me feel a little better. The buffalo obvously frequent all the paths though, there were buffalo "pies" everywhere! Grace ran up to each one and made sure I saw them.
Building memories! Great plan, you are such a great Mother! Loved doing this with our children...Barns Bluff in Red Wing was one they still talk about.
ReplyDeleteBlessings, G&G D.
Emmit just woke up from his nap and really enjoyed this...he says "Hi" to all.
ReplyDeleteMissing you, Emmit
Good thing I didn't know that you were out there again without us to protect you!
ReplyDeleteMom