November 17, 2011

Happy Birthday...

to my Mom. 

I have a great mom.  On days when I am pretty sure I can't make it I think about how my mom took care of twice a many kids as I have.  Every day.  Since 1981.  Well, there were not six all the time of course, we only came one at a time.  I think all six of us were home together for about eight years before the three of us girls left for college in one weekend.  Thirty years is a long time to come up with something for three meals, every day.  I have a hard enough time coming up with something for supper tonight, I don't even want to think about next week or next year or ten years from now. 

She could have sent us all to school and not had to worry about at least one of those meals for five days a week.  But nope, we were all homeschooled. Yes, some of us went to a couple years of high school but she taught six kids how to read, that 2+2=4 and that "In the beginning God..."  Some of my favorite memories from growing up are when Mom used to read books to us before bed time.  The best books by far where the Little House on the Prairie books.  I know not a lot of kids loved to read, but most of us to this day love to sit down with a book, speaking for myself, I would rather read an interesting book than channel surf.  That is mostly because of my mom. 

Now all of us kids are gone and have started producing grandkids.  I remember my mom saying that she was looking forward to being a grandma, congratulations, you now have seven grandkids!  I feel extra special because my little Grace is the only granddaughter among six grandsons. 


Mom with grandkids #3 & #5

Now her and my dad have moved back to the town they grew up in and are living in dad's parent's house.  For the first time in years, mom and dad are living alone and dad is home for supper every night.  I'm glad my mom gets to be with dad and live near her mother. 

Happy birthday mom, I hope I can be half the mother you were to me.  Thank you so much for everything you have done for me and the rest of the kids.  Thank you for loving my dad.  I love you!

2 comments:

  1. There is no doubt your Mom is an amazing woman, teacher and Mother...she so deserves the titles! How nice that you can acknowledge her in such wonderful words...you are following in her footsteps quite nicely.

    HAPPY JOYFUL BIRTHDAY KAYE! Cliff & Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tina, You kids are what made those years so special. It truly does go by too quickly, but I have the memories that will never go away.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete