Sadly little JJ didn't have such a nice day. Sometime in the afternoon I noticed he was getting a little red. His face gets red when he cries or is really tired so I didn't think much of it, we left and I thought after a nap he would feel better. He didn't settle down in the car on the way home and was fussy off and on all evening. When I got him dressed for bed I noticed he was covered with little spots. They were all over! I got pretty worried so I texted pictures of JJ to Eric and his sister, the nurse. He had been on penicillin so we were concerned he was reacting to it.
![]() |
| Thanksgiving night, small red dots |
Mom and I jumped into the car with JJ and raced to the emergency room. What is normally an hour plus drive mom did in a little more than forty-five minutes. We decided to go the emergency room at the same hospital grandpa is in. The emergency room doctor told us it was probably a reaction to the penicillin and to stop that immediately. He said it could also be chicken pox and to watch it closely. They gave him Tylenol and children's Benedryl and said to give him more as need to keep him comfortable. After we finished up in the emergency room we went upstairs to visit my grandpa and grandma. By the time we left the hospital it was nearly midnight. Mom and I were exhausted so we thought it would be best if we picked up the medicine then spent the night in Fargo. That way we would have the medicine if JJ woke up and needed it in the night and we could sleep in if he was okay. Now back up and think about what day it is. Because it was Thanksgiving regular grocery stores were not open. The only place that has medicine and is open at midnight on Thanksgiving is Walmart. I never would have planned to be at Walmart at midnight on black Friday. Needless to say I stood in line for a very long time for that medicine. Everyone around me had carts full of flat-screen TVs, video games, DVD players and other assorted electronics. If I wouldn't have been so dead-tired and emotionally drained, I would maybe have made an effort to push ahead.
JJ hardly slept at all. Since we were in a hotel room that meant that neither mom or I got much sleep either. We somehow made it through the night. Dad brought Grace and Micah up the next afternoon. By then the small red dots on JJ's skin had grown and turned into large red blotches all over his body. I was worried that he was getting worse so dad found a clinic that not only offered walk-in service but specialized in pediatrics. Thankfully it was in the same hospital system as the emergency room so they already had all our insurance information and check-in went very quick.
![]() |
| Friday night, large red blotches |
The rash was the worst Friday night, his face and hands were all swollen also. By Saturday morning he looked a lot better, Sunday it was almost completely gone from his body. Now all that is left of the rash is his cheeks are a little rosy and his hands are still a little red. He seems to be more comfortable but not totally better. I am glad he seems to be feeling better and really glad he can get some sleep. He is still taking extra naps and needs Tylenol sometimes but is so much better it is not even funny.
I am going to say that this Thanksgiving weekend will probably be one of the most memorable for me. My grandpa is in critical care in the hospital, not eating. Grandma left the hospital only once for a couple hours since he was admitted Monday. Mom's siblings and in-laws are driving in from all over and staying at the hospital in shifts. No one is getting much sleep and everyone is worn out and worried. Add to that the unexpected trip to the emergency room late Thursday night with JJ, unplanned trip to Walmart five minuets after the black Friday deals start and last-minuet hotel stay. Not to mention all the worry that JJ's rash caused throughout the weekend. To say it has been a stressful week for my mom would be an understatement! My mom was so happy that we were with her when JJ got his rash so we were within driving distance of the largest city in ND. Rather than out in the oil patch where who knows how long the wait in the emergency room is. I know Eric was worried and stressed that he couldn't do anything though.
Hopefully this coming week will bring some break in the tension and more predictable routine. Happy Thanksgiving!


Quite a challenging trip! Glad you got through it and JJ is doing so much better...lots of prayers still going up for him and your Grandpa!
ReplyDeleteBlessngs, Grandpa & Grandma D.