November 09, 2009

Happy Birthday Grandpa

Today is my grandpa's birthday. Although I will not be able to spend it with him, I think he is in Arizona this week, I know that if we were there he would probably say this at some point: That grandpa, he is quite a character! And now, a couple stories about grandpa. If you don't have a lot of money, you can conserve money while going out by: sharing a cup of coffee (free refills are an added bonus) or order pine floats for everyone (cup of water with a toothpick). One story we have heard a lot is how he and grandma met. Grandma was friends with his younger sister before she married him. One night she was walking over to his family's house and grandpa thought there were strangers coming across the fields, so he sent his dog out to "welcome" them. It must not have worked, he didn't scare her off! He prides himself on being able to pack as much as possible into any space. For example, I don't have a picture of it here, but he once got three cars into his two car garage in Arizona, two of those were his beloved Lincolns (not small cars!). Another time, we helped him and grandma move home from Arizona and through his and my dad's expert packing they were able to get everything they owned plus two cars into the trailer. Good story though, that night they found out they would have to drive one of those cars back to North Dakota. The entire trailer had to be unpacked as that car was the very first thing loaded, fun, fun for everyone!

A few words of wisdom from grandpa:
Never back up if you can go ahead and,
Watch those intersections!
I'm not a duffer

I hope he has a very happy birthday and many more. He has been a great grandpa to me, his other sixteen grand kids and multiple great grand kids. Happy birthday grandpa, I like grandpa best!

3 comments:

  1. The pine float - a glass of water and a toothpick - old saying in our family, too! So nice to honor your Grandfather - hope he gets to read this!
    Enjoyed the two kiddlies today - pretty peaceful with long naps!

    Love, Grandma D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. couple of handsome men. If I do say so myself

    ReplyDelete