October 02, 2014

Apples

The other day I told Eric I wished we knew someone with apple trees that are producing more than they can use up.  Not even two hours later a friend called him and invited us over for supper and apple picking at their new house!  We picked a huge box and two of these green pails full of apples.  The were such nice apples too. 


I got busy a couple days later working on getting them all in cans.  Micah helped me by peeling apples.  A lot of it went to apple sauce but I also tried one batch of apple pie filling.  That didn't turn out exactly like I had hoped but it tasted good anyway.  We had to make a run to buy more canning jars the second day.  Now all the space I could rob from my pantry closet is crammed with apple sauce (there is more than fit in the picture). 


There are still some apples left so I think I will take a stab at apple butter soon.  I also plan to make some apple muffins or bread or cake one of these days.  And, with some of those apple peels and cores, I started apple cider vinegar.  We will see how that works out.  I have never attempted that and it is supposed to take a couple weeks to ferment so it is far too soon to tell how it will turn out.

Turns out ask and ye shall receive!

1 comment: