While trying to decide on a name for this blog I tried out a few ideas. Nothing seemed quite right. At some point I remembered a book my great aunt had written about her childhood. I did a report on it for a high school English class but I don't think I appreciated it's broader appeal at the time. To me it was just a story about my grandma's family, how interesting could it be to anyone outside my family? The same could be true about this blog, how interesting is it really to people outside its intended audience of my family and close friends? As I have grown older, met more people and experienced new places it seems to me that this book has a broader appeal than I thought as a seventeen year old. It is an interesting, first person, account of growing up in rural North Dakota during the 30's and 40's.
I have been rereading it this week, for the first time since high school, and it means so much more now that I am a wife and mother. The amount of work great grandma Cross did every day makes me tired to read about! Trying to feed and provide for a family through the depression was clearly not easy but they were incredible people and somehow they made it through. It would be a good read for anyone interested in that era or North Dakota history in general.
Since I read it last, all of "the Six" have died, only a couple of their spouses remain. Inez's little sister, my grandma, is quoted extensively several times and reading her passages is like getting to listen to my grandma tell stories one more time. Reading the book has made my week just a little happier.
So all that to say that I named my blog as kind of a nod to Inez's book. She is not a professional author but wanted to write down a little history for future generations to read. I am making an attempt to record some of the happenings of my family as they transpire so I have a way to remember or lives someday when my kids are grown.

No comments:
Post a Comment