August 14, 2014

Heifers

The last month before we moved away from the farm we had the heifers pastured in such a way they could come almost up to the house.  Every morning I could look out and see them peacefully munching on grass as they made their rounds of the pasture. 


We put a water tank up by the house so they would be drawn there even as the grass got eaten down.  Having them close also helped them get used to people again after that long, ridiculous winter.  I was working on two of them in particular because we intended to milk them someday.


All of them were named and by the time we moved many of them were very friendly.  The picture above is of Francis and Abigail.  Francis was supposed to be a heifer but he turned out to be a bull calf.  He was the only steer we had left and he was by far the most friendly of all our livestock.  He would follow me around like a puppy.  Abigail was one we were hoping to get some milk from so I spent a lot of time petting and being around her.


I loved the red cow, Lena the best.  She was the prettiest of all our cows and I had high hopes of making her tame enough to milk next summer.  Once winter was over, it was so much fun to have cows, I would have them again.  We still own all of them (except for Francis, we gave him away as payment for a pasture, the little weirdo) and a family with several little girls takes care of them for us.  The cows are getting used to the little girls and the little girls have so much fun feeding and petting them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment