June 19, 2013

Paint

We have been working pretty hard on the house the past couple of months.  There was so much to do, haha, there still is so much to do!  I have been painting a lot.  We got the kid's rooms painted before we even moved in because carpet was coming and I wanted the walls and ceilings painted before that was installed and before we moved the kid's things in.  I picked different colors for each of the kid's rooms but we got a five gallon bucket of cream colored paint and I have used that stuff all over the house.  Ceilings, one closet and the hallway upstairs as well as the family room, breakfast area and the dining room on the main floor.  That bucket ran out painting the dining room; it will need two coats anyway but it was still a little frustrating to not finish the first coat. 

Here are a couple of before and after pictures.  The dining room was actually not a bad color, it was just poorly applied.  They should have done a second coat because a lighter color was visible behind the green brushstrokes.  Before and after in one picture, covering the green with cream. 


I painted the kitchen eating area and the back splash as soon as I had a second free.  Red is not a bad color, in fact, I would probably like a red kitchen.  Red sponge paint accenting the green cabinets makes me want to gag.  Whomever painted that red sponge paint did a very bad job keeping it inside the lines, there are still traces of red all around what I painted over. 


A kitchen remodel is in the future so I didn't want to start painting the cupboard doors and frames.  I just painted the red back splash and green sides of the cupboards.  Not perfect but oh so much better!  (The previous owners removed a lot of things from the house including all the window screens and most kitchen drawers)


Here is a during and after of the kitchen eating area.  The first thing our neighbor said when he saw it painted was "It doesn't look like a crime scene anymore!"  Not only that but the room looks twice the size and so much cleaner. 


 
I also painted the living room but the difference is hardly noticeable in pictures.  It was an off-white color and I painted it bright white.  There were a lot of nail holes in the walls both there and in the family room.  Once I got done filling all the holes the room really had to be painted.  It looks and feels a lot fresher.  Now I have to get busy pounding more nails into the walls so I can get some things hung up!

No comments:

Post a Comment