Yesterday I took the kids out to an ice rink for the very first time. Perks of living in MN: ice rink in every town! I'm bad at ice skating, it has been years since I last tried and I didn't have skates so the kids had to figure it out on their own. I mostly encouraged from the edge of the ice!
It's not too hard to pick up the basics of making yourself go forward. They all started out by holding on to the wall around the edge but did pretty well venturing out onto the ice. Grace was slow and careful the whole time and didn't fall down once. She got pretty confident over the hour or so we were there.
Micah just went for it! I was so proud of him. After once around the edge he took off at almost full speed back and forth across the ice practicing moving. Impressive because he was wearing Eric's skates which are man sized, probably twice the size of his feet.
JJ, the one most excited to learn to skate, was the most timid. He kept getting his feet tangled up and falling. He would take off across the ice and fall flat on his face or butt. I think he had a lot of fun though.
Part way through our time, Micah gave me his skates and borrowed JJ's, JJ just went out on the ice in his boots to slide for a while. It was fun to give skating a try but I'm pretty timid and didn't last long before we switched the skates back.
They are all excited to go out again, hopefully we can make it happen a few more times this winter before the ice melts!




No comments:
Post a Comment