March 28, 2012

Tractor Man

My little man is into tractors.  Really into tractors.  Let me illustrate this point.  Last time when we went to the library he asked for a tractor book, as usual.  I decided to mix it up a little bit and took him to the adult section instead of the kids section as we have checked out all four of the kids tractor books several times.  There are two tractor books in the adult stacks.  On is a history of Ford tractors complete with full color pictures of the tractors being used on farms.  The other is a black and white book of tractors from the 70's to the 80's ( I think that was the years, I had no intention of reading such a thing) set up like a catalog.  Page after page of statistics with smallish black and white pictures of the tractors along side the detailed descriptions. 

Believe me, I offered him the colored Ford book.  We had it one other time and he hardly put it down, even taking it to read at every nap time.  I think he believes his interest in tractors has matured because he insisted on taking the boring catalog one. 


Not two days later we received a full color farm auction magazine.  He grabbed it out of the mail box and didn't put it down for the rest of the day.  After we got home from the post office he sat with his snack and looked at page after page of tractors.  I am amazed that a two year old has enough interest in tractors to look at what I think looks like pages and pages of the same picture. 

I remember when my brother Andy was a little boy and he was the same way.  Dad brought home truck papers and auction fliers all of the time and he would sit on the floor studying those things.  I remember him on the living room floor of the first house we lived in so he would have been around Micah's age at that time.  It's pretty cute to see little Micah man looking so interested in those pictures.  Guess that's how men learn the tiny differences between machinery, start studying when they are two years old!

1 comment:

  1. First, I just want to say that I love the way Micah man is holding his snack. Seth and I were talking about how adorable your kids are the other day and how cute Micah was at the funeral last year when he ran around to all of the women saying, "I'm baaaaaack!" Seeing him studying that auction magazine totally reminds me of Andy! All Micah needs now is a red flannel shirt and some overalls when he's studying up!

    ReplyDelete