Exciting things have been happening around here! Last fall the company that owns the trailer court we live in asked us to please remove our camper as they were going to be moving a double-wide onto the lot. We scrambled to find somewhere else to park the camper. Fortunately an existing trailer in the same court opened up and we were able to move into that back in November. I have been "patiently" waiting all winter for the bigger trailer to arrive. They told us last fall that it would probably be delivered in March or April. The first piece arrived the evening of March 14th and the other piece came the next day. I'm pretty sure I jumped up and down at some point. The kids and I ran right over and looked in all the windows. Several times. Almost daily.
We lived in the camper for five months and have been in a 14' X 48' trailer for the past four. The camper served our needs very well last summer and the trailer feels like a mansion after that. Before we moved out here I often thought of how nice it would be to live more simply, in a smaller house with less stuff. It was nice, cleaning a smaller space is much less daunting so it ends up getting done more often. Taking care of less stuff is also nice. Turns out though, when offered a place more than double the size of where we are now, I am jumping at the chance to upgrade. I am thinking of all the things we had to leave back in Minnesota and trying to mentally arrange them in the new house. Although I am excited about bringing "stuff" back, I am honestly the most excited to have dressers. We had tons storage and no floor space in the camper so dressers were definitely not coming in there. The priorities when we moved into the trailer were beds as all the beds were built into the camper so couldn't be removed. Eric's mom brought beds up soon after we moved so we had that need taken care of. The trailer we are living in now has plenty of space for the five of us but not much extra room for dressers. Eric and I have our cloths in piles on the closet floor. Not my idea of fun. That clothing organization system only works for about 7.4 hours. Until you need a shirt that is not the one on top of the pile. The piles tip over and get mixed up, clothes get wrinkled and I feel anxiety when I think about the mess lurking behind the closet doors.
The new trailer has more square feet of living space than the main floor of our house in MN. We didn't use the basement a lot so it is comparable to living in that house. Except the carpet is new. The dishwasher is built in (no more dragging a heavy dishwasher across the kitchen floor and hooking it up to the sink, effectively blocking the entire kitchen area from use until the dishwasher is done). It has not one, but two, full bathrooms. When we were considering buying a trailer we wanted one with a kitchen that was open to the living area so I could keep an eye on kids. Kid's bedrooms on one end, living in the center and master suite on the other. Eric also didn't want something with hallways as they are kind of a waste of space. The double-wide has everything we wanted plus a large family room! We were able to walk around in it last Sunday and I was pleasantly surprised at how roomy it felt. Usually when I look at floor plans I get a picture in my head and am very disappointed at how much smaller the home feels in person.
There have been people over there working on getting it move-in ready everyday since it was delivered. My fear was that the trailer would be delivered and sit unfinished for weeks or even months before we could move in. At the pace things are getting done (the guys that worked on the roof and siding even worked last Sunday) we should be moving in no time. I'm so excited to get moved in and settled in our new home!

how exciting!!! we are still in the camper and have no plans to change that, so i totally understand your excitement!! we live in a trailer in sd and i was so excited to go home for the winter because we had SEPARATE ROOMS!! and a bathroom that wasn't attached to the bedroom!! so so exciting :-)
ReplyDelete