October 15, 2011

And this is a day off?

Eric has been helping a local farmer with harvest this fall.  Since he already has a full time job he helps out on his days off.  Working a full 16 hour day is not my idea of fun and relaxation but I also don't miss driving tractors like he does, mostly because I have never once driven a tractor. 


He took Micah with him one of the times.  It was going to be a long day but Micah loves tractors, trucks and being with Papa so we figured he would be okay.  Their job for most of the day was driving the grain cart between the combines and the grain trucks.  The field they were harvesting that  day was canola, it is a really small grain used to make cooking oil.  In true oilfield fashion there is an oil well in the corner of the field.  The pad functions very well as a place for extra grain trucks and for the combines to come out of the field.  With my limited knowledge of grain and oil prices I am willing to bet the oil well pictured here pays out far more than the canola being harvested. 


 I brought supper out and picked up Micah near the end of the day.  We ate hot dogs while Eric finished up.  I love harvest, it is fun to watch the combines turn methodically around the field while the grain cart hurries around trying to keep up. 






Micah had a great day and was not interested in coming home with me.  I'm glad he and Eric were able to spend the day together.  Eric misses being able to help out at the home farm and this way he not only gets to drive a tractor he gets to spend time with Micah.  

1 comment:

  1. Interesting day at the farm...glad Eric and Micah get to do what they love even away from the home farm.

    Love you all and miss U! G & G D.

    ReplyDelete