August 27, 2011

Grrrrrrr, Dogs

Sometimes I like our dogs, sometimes not so much. Today is a not-so-much day. Last night I let the dogs in for the night and about 10 seconds after they were in I turned my back on Lilah and she peed right in front of the door. Seriously? They were outside for most of the day and she can't do her business outside? I decided to let her sleep outside so I put her back out. We have a nice kennel filled with soft towels and a dog bed under the camper awning so she would be fine. Needless to say I was fuming while trying to soak up the disproportionately enormous puddle on the floor.
Lucky for Lilah, she started barking an hour after I let her back out and wouldn't stop so she ended up sleeping in the camper anyway. I refused to let her sleep on the bed though!
And now Cody... Have I mentioned before he has attachment issues? I was more than a little worried that having him tied up at our new home would end up with him whining and barking all the time because he wouldn't be able to see Eric. That, for the most part, hasn't turned out to be true. We tie the dogs up outside in the morning and they spend most of the day alternating between lying in the shade under the camper and lying out in the sun. Oh they bark at the occasional passerby or at the neighbor's dog behind us but it works out for the most part.
However when the kids and I go on our daily walk up town Cody pitches a fit. Yesterday I left him outside and we could still hear him yipping THREE BLOCKS AWAY! Today I let him in the house when we left so the neighbors didn't have to listen to that again. I know that if he hears something, real or imagined, outside he will do anything possible to look out the windows (even though he is mostly blind now). In the camper this means he jumps on the back of the couch, stands on the kitchen table or jumps on the printer in our room to see outside. The metal blinds on all the windows are no match for a frenzied dog, most of them are bent by now. I prepared for this by opening the blinds in the main area and trying to barricade the door to our room so he couldn't stand on the printer and ruin the blinds on the window above it. Hahaha, I don't know if he is the smartest or dumbest dog I know. I came home to find he had managed to get the sliding doors to our room open, there are footprints on the printer and my pillow and a couple more pieces of the blinds are bent. Needless to say he has been outside for the rest of the day.
I will probably feel more loving toward the dogs tomorrow but today I don't even want to look at them. I think they have a pretty good idea how I feel because Cody runs under the camper every time I come outside and neither of them have made much noise all afternoon. Ahhhhh, sweet silence!

1 comment:

  1. That's ok, it's called tough love, and they should both be glad that's all the discipline they received!!! Naughty Dogs!! Naughty!!

    Hang in there sweetie, a little help is on the way for a little while in a few days!!

    Loveth, Wendy

    ReplyDelete