Eric and I went to the Agco/Bobcat dealer's annual pork chop dinner the other day. He made a family event of it, picking up his dad and uncle on the way and running into another uncle at the dinner. I feel like we all spend enough on tractor repairs through the year it's okay to eat a "free" meal once a year. They had several new pieces of equipment parked around the indoor shop. Yes a new feed grinder would be pretty, but who has that kind of money!
They also had one of the first Melroe skid loaders on display in the showroom. It was made in 1960. I grew up 10 miles from the Melroe Bobcat plant and I've seen some pretty old models of Bobcats but I've never seen the first one. Kind of cool to see what they first looked like.
I used to be able to go out and pet one of our heifers because she is friendly but our new cattle dog herds the young stock up into a corner of their shed if I walk out there. I locked the dog up one afternoon to see if I could still get close to my heifer, Blossom. It worked! None of the others in that pen have let us pet them but they were all so curious. If I stood very still, petting Blossom, with my back to the others, they would slowly sneak up behind me. Some were bolder than others. This girl stretched her neck way out to sniff my gloves.
Thing Two was too nervous to come all the way up to my hand. Luna hid behind her, ready to run if I made a sudden movement.
Sometimes it's fun to spend a little time out with the cows. I like them to be comfortable around us. Not too comfortable though, if they are not a little scared of us running around, they will not move where we need them to go when it comes time to move them from one place to another. Cows that don't have a healthy respect for us and the dog don't move when they get out of the pasture and we try to chase them back in.




This has never worked, but will try again! Went thu 3 years back so many great pics!!
ReplyDeleteYea! It works now!! Can copy pics from here as well! Grandma D.
ReplyDelete