Yesterday was mother's day and it was so nice. I awoke suddenly to a little girl standing next to the bed eager to bestow her handmade gift on me. She had made a book about me in school. It was a fill-in-the-blank book where she filled in her own answers about me. So cute! I read it through groggy eyes by the light of my cell phone. JJ made a card for me at preschool a couple days ago, very cute also. Micah is homeschooled this year and his teacher (me) is not really into crafts.
Church got out a little early and Eric wasn't expecting me home for a while. He planned to take us all to the café in town for lunch and hoped the rush would be over by the time I got home. There were still people waiting to be seated so we drove around for a while. I didn't mind, I always enjoy a drive and if it meant I would not have to cook my own Mother's Day meal, it was great! The rest of the day was slow and lazy, I read books and watched movies with Eric while the kids watched TV all day upstairs.
I am so thankful that I get to be the mom of those three little kids. They are so cute and sweet. Sometimes it may not seem to them that I love them but I always do, even when I am mad. Most of the time I feel so put-upon on Mother's Day, as if I shouldn't have to do a single thing. I tried very hard this year to keep those feelings away and try and focus on how important my kids are to me. Also, by thinking about how Mother's Day must have been most years for my mom. She had twice as many kids as I do and I clearly remember bringing her breakfast in bed on several occasions. My kids were specifically instructed to not make me breakfast. As cute and heartwarming as it is, I can only think of how messy my kitchen would be in the aftermath. Besides, I get to eat (cold cereal) with my kids all together at the table that way.


No comments:
Post a Comment