This Saturday I thought I would surprise Papa and make him crepes. He had tried them at a restaurant a while back and thought they were a great alternative to pancakes. He prefers his pancakes like his spaghetti, as thin and un-doughy as possible. Crepes have the great things about pancakes: round fried things with unlimited sweet topping options; and none of the bad: thick, fluffy and possibly still wet in the center.
We found a basic crepe recipe online back when he first said he wanted to try some. It makes a somewhat thin batter of: flour, egg yolks, sugar, milk, melted butter, salt and this particular recipe called for 2 tablespoons of vanilla for some added flavor.
I threw together a simple blueberry sauce with some frozen blueberries, water, sugar, cornstarch and butter. It started out good..... I wanted to keep it warm while I was making the crepes but it got thinner and thinner as it sat on the burner. It started almost as thick as pie filling and ended as a thin syrup with blueberries in it.
I made the crepes one at a time in my smallest frying pan. They were not hard at all. Just pour 1/4 cup of the batter in the pan and tilt to spread evenly. The hard part was that I could only make one at a time and the recipe ended up making about a dozen. Eric pointed out that it probably isn't important that they are perfectly round and we could try making them on the griddle like pancakes next time. He is so smart, that would have saved a lot of time!

Here is a picture of the first few I made. The looked almost like you would picture they should! You can even see the blueberry filling peeking out of a couple of them (at that point the filling was still pretty thick).
I was inspired by the fancier than normal food and dug out the china plates I have never used. This is about as close as I get to staging a picture, I made sure all the junk on the table was pushed to the other side before I took it. The crepes were just so pretty I had to take the picture before they were all done. The stack kept getting higher and higher until it seemed like that bowl of batter was never going to end. But at last it did and we dug in. They were just as good as I had hoped they would be!
I threw together a simple blueberry sauce with some frozen blueberries, water, sugar, cornstarch and butter. It started out good..... I wanted to keep it warm while I was making the crepes but it got thinner and thinner as it sat on the burner. It started almost as thick as pie filling and ended as a thin syrup with blueberries in it.
I made the crepes one at a time in my smallest frying pan. They were not hard at all. Just pour 1/4 cup of the batter in the pan and tilt to spread evenly. The hard part was that I could only make one at a time and the recipe ended up making about a dozen. Eric pointed out that it probably isn't important that they are perfectly round and we could try making them on the griddle like pancakes next time. He is so smart, that would have saved a lot of time!
Here is a picture of the first few I made. The looked almost like you would picture they should! You can even see the blueberry filling peeking out of a couple of them (at that point the filling was still pretty thick).
I was inspired by the fancier than normal food and dug out the china plates I have never used. This is about as close as I get to staging a picture, I made sure all the junk on the table was pushed to the other side before I took it. The crepes were just so pretty I had to take the picture before they were all done. The stack kept getting higher and higher until it seemed like that bowl of batter was never going to end. But at last it did and we dug in. They were just as good as I had hoped they would be!
Yummy - you are such a talented lady!
ReplyDeleteLove, Mom D.
Oooooooh! Those look tasty!
ReplyDelete