January 05, 2015

2014 In Review

Once again this has been a year full of changes.  I always like to look back and try and remember all that we did.  Every year I have great plans of making a photo book from some online place like Snapfish or MyPublisher so we have one book for each year and can easily look back on all the events.  That happened just one year.  Usually I end up printing off hundreds of pictures when Snapfish has their penny print sale and stuffing them into albums.  Anyway, here is a little list of some of the highlights from 2014.

- January was super cold
- We fed, and tried to keep alive, around 30 head of cattle and seven pigs
- JJ turned 3, we had parties at home, with my parents and with Eric's family
- February was super cold
- The kids and I kept up with attending AWANA at church in town so we did get out of the house sometimes!
- All the cattle grew long fur.  They looked more like buffalo than heifers.
- March was super cold.
- We spent a ton of time inside in March
- Eric's niece's high school basketball team made it to state.  We went to the playoff games and got to watch her play.  They finished 4th in the state!
- The snow started to melt in April
- We purchased a new puppy, brining our dog herd up to four.
- We listed the house and farm for sale.
- After two-three showings a week for three weeks, the farm sold!
- Now we had to pack and quickly look for a new place to live.
- Eric's niece graduated from high school.
- The kids and I spent June and July packing and swimming.
- We sold almost all the cows.
- I got to spend a weekend relaxing at Breezy Point Resort with a group of other moms, it was awesome!!
- Grace turned 6, we celebrated at home and with extended family.
- JJ had his second lifetime visit to Urgent Care on Grace's birthday when I fell down while carrying him.  That resulted in a giant gash and goose egg on the back of his head.  Incidentally that is also the moment when I received "Mom Of The Year."
- We moved into a cute little house by the lake in Eric's home town.
- Eric quit driving truck after three years on the road and started a new job working on sewer pipes under the streets in the Twin Cities.
- My cousin got married in August so Eric and I left the kids with his sister and we spent two nights away enjoying ourselves.
- We sold the pigs.
- The county fair was a full week as usual.  I entered some baked goods for open class judging and Eric pulled a tractor or two in the antique pull.
- The kids and I took a quick mini-vacation at the end of August.  We visited my mom and my grandma.
- Grace had her very first visit to the emergency room.  She fell off her scooter and bumped her head pretty hard on the garage floor.  It was scary for a while but turned out okay.
- Grace started Kindergarten at the local elementary school.  Micah and I started homeschooling preschool.  JJ started part-time preschool at Grace's school.
- Micah turned 5
- My youngest brother got married in Boise ID in October.  The kids and I road tripped out there with my dad and my sister's family.
- We visited Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Watford City and Dickinson on our way back to MN.
- Eric's dad was injured in an accident involving a 4-wheeler and a run away bull resulting in an ambulance trip to the emergency room and several nights in the hospital.
- I hosted some of my family for Thanksgiving, the first holiday we spent at our new house.
- We celebrated Christmas at our house and at Eric's sister's house. 

A lot of things have changed, the least of which was our address.  Life is so much easier in town than it was on the farm.  I really enjoyed having the animals and would do it again if there were some kind of guarantee that the winter wouldn't be so hard.  Someday we will start that all up again but if I learned anything it would be to take it a lot slower.  It was hard for me to let Grace go to school this fall.  There is so much more I feel like I should have taught her before letting her go.  Eric's new job is great!  He worked many weekends and holidays as a truck driver, it is nice to have him around more and to do things as a family. 

Happy New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment