November 13, 2014

Snowy Winter

Winter has hit us hard this week.  We didn't even get a little "winter preview" where a little snow falls then melts the next day.  It snowed all day Monday and some in the night.  Grace had her first school snow day.  Eric still had to go to work so we shoveled the driveway in the morning.  I should have waited until later in the afternoon though, it was snowing so hard that what we shoveled was all filled in quickly.  I heard anywhere from six to fourteen inches fell Monday.  The cold temperature has held all week too so the snow and ice are sticking around. The kids love it!  They have been out playing in the snow everyday.  Nothing like the first snow to point out the fact that all the kids out grew the snow pants and boots from last winter.  We passed everything down one child and bought new for Grace.  She is the one that actually needs weather/age/gender appropriate winter wear as she is the only one that plays in the snow at school.  So, Micah is wearing pink snow boots for now; he doesn't seem to mind so we are just going to go with it. 

After last winter I didn't think I wanted to see snow or cold ever again.  Last winter was pretty hard for me, physically and emotionally.  It's not so bad though, we had a nice long warm summer with lots of sunny days.  I've spent thirty one winters in the Midwest, what's another.  The funny thing about summer is that it helps me forget all the bad things about winter and only leaves the good memories: kids playing in the snow, the pretty snowflakes falling, ice covered lakes, cozy warm house.  Also, using the oven for my never ending baking keeps the house comfortable instead of cooking us out. 

The snow has made me so itchy for Christmastime. I'm excited to get the tree out and start decorating.  And don't forget Christmas cookies!  There are so many yummy things that I just don't make during the rest of the year.  Pinterest has already almost totally switched from Thanksgiving posts to Christmas ideas.  I want to finish Thanksgiving at least before I get pulled too far into Christmas.  I did start a little Christmas prep this week though.  We got our family pictures back and so many websites had deals on Christmas cards that I had to take advantage of them.  I love a good deal so usually don't get all my cards from one place.  I hunt around online to see where the best/free deals are and order the limit on free product from several different places.  Last year I didn't read the details on the first offer I used and ended up with only fifteen cards and spent a lot more than I usually spend.  But hey, they were rush shipped and arrived two days after I ordered them!  That will hopefully not happen this year.  I have ordered from three different sites already, one set has arrived with no unexpected surprises.  Often there are good deals on photo and card sites on Cyber Monday after Thanksgiving but that is cutting it a little close for me.  I'm too cheap to spend any more than the minimum on shipping and some places take a couple weeks to ship.  Because of the card debacle last year, we didn't really send out many cards.  I have a good amount coming this year though.  I'm excited to send out Christmas cards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment