July 02, 2012

Product Review - Stand Mixer

Welcome back to product reviews!!  After a long absence I have decided to revive this little feature.  Today we will look at the coolest appliance in my kitchen.  It is probably not the most used, it ranks below the toaster, coffee maker and maybe even my little, trusty, hand-me-down hand mixer.  But oh how I love it. 

As some of you know, I like to make homemade bread.  However, there comes a point in mixing up bread where the dough is too stiff for me to mix on my own but still too sticky to begin kneading.  That is where this wonderful appliance comes in.  Simply mix the bread dough with the heavy, duty dough hook attachment until it is dry enough to dump out on the counter top and kneed. 

At first, mixing bread dough was the only thing I used my mixer for.  But I have since branched out into other applications.  Unlike the food processor that has a ton of hard to clean pieces, the stand mixer only has a couple of things to wash.  I sometimes don't use the food processor because I don't want to wash the pieces.  Not so the mixer, it is pretty and useful.  I have made a lot more bread since Eric gave me the mixer.  (Except for the five months that we lived in the camper with the Hobbit oven.)  It is great for mixing up all kinds of delicious treats.  The pouring shield is very useful too, I can easily pour ingredients into the bowl while the mixer is going.

If you want one for yourself you can do what I did, receive it as a gift from my wonderful husband, or you can purchase one from any fine retail establishment.  Mine was purchased at Kohl's almost five years ago.  Here is a link to their site.  Per my quick online search, prices for new mixer range from $299 to $600 and up.  I didn't check any used or discount places where I'm sure you could get one for a lot less.  The Pioneer Woman (The Pioneer Woman) often has give aways on her site where you can win a mixer.  Your odds are about 1:35,000 though. 

I love my mixer, not only is it very useful but it looks pretty in my kitchen :)

1 comment: