My dad's mom used to make jeans quilts for all the grandkids when we graduated from high school. She died in August of 2006 so the younger grandchildren did not/will not be getting a special, hand made jean quilt from Grandma. My mom found some left over jeans Grandma had been saving up and made one for the next grandchild to graduate because she was the oldest in that family and as such none of them had gotten a quilt before Grandma died.We had a stack of jeans that were going to get thrown out so I decided to make one more jean quilt. I have no idea how long Grandma had to save up jeans or if she got jeans from other people but if I had used exclusively jeans instead of adding in some squares of flannel in Chippy's quilt it would have taken more than eight pairs of pants to come up with enough squares!
Here is a picture of the lucky boy with his blanket. Don't mind the silly look on his face, he is a silly guy :)
It was kind of fun and I realized I had never before made a quilt by myself from start to finish. I'm nearly thirty and have never made a whole quilt, seems kind of funny. When I realized that, I got a little intimidated and started looking at the one Grandma made for me and wondering if I had started something that wouldn't ever get finished. It was so fun though and I worked on it every spare minuet getting it done just in time!
Now that I know what I am doing and have all the settings on my sewing machine adjusted to my liking I won't be as intimidated to make the next one. Shhhh, don't tell anyone but the plan is to try to get one done for another graduation that is happening in a week and a half. Happy graduation not-so-little-Chippy. I love you a lot and hope this blanket keeps you warm up in the mountains at college and reminds you of your Grandma that loved you a lot too and would have made you a quilt if she were here. Dang it, now I'm crying, that's from your Grandma too.

where is he going to college?
ReplyDeleteand great job on the quilt! it looks amazing!
ReplyDeleteYour talents never fail to amaze me, Tina! You are so gifted and patient! The quilt looks fantanstic - what an incredibly thoughtful thing to do in memory of your Grandmother and for your brother!
ReplyDeleteBlessings! Wendy
Rachel - he is going to 1 year Bible college in Montana (MWSB) first.
ReplyDelete