February 24, 2011

Chocolate

Someone once said that all I do all day is sit at the computer stalking people on Facebook and reading blogs. I can tell you right now that is not (entirely) true. Sometimes I eat. And if there is nothing good to eat, I make something good to eat. Now and then I feel a little guilty for all the sweets I eat but then I remember that I am still feeding another person and really do need those extra calories. After all, they do say about baby weight: it took nine months to put it on, don't expect it to take any less than that to lose it. And a wise woman once told me that trying to lose weight while nursing just deprives the baby of what he needs to grow. I am not one to deprive my children of food.
True, little JJ would benefit just as much, if not more, if I were eating more carrots and celery. I do eat as healthy as possible at meal times so he is probably getting most of what he needs. It is those pesky times between meals. And at night when I get up to nurse him. I have no desire to dig out carrots or try to concoct some kind of healthy snack to eat while nursing the baby in the middle of the night. Nope, I set Twinkies and peanut butter cups out on the counter before I go to bed so they are easy to grab on my way through the kitchen to the couch to feed the baby.

Come on, who can resist something like this chocolate cobbler? It may look like any innocent chocolate cake or even some kind of fluffy brownie. What is hard to see from the pictures is the thick layer of gooey chocolate on the bottom of the pan. I could not even wait to take a picture before I ate the first piece right out of the pan with a spoon. If you think I stopped there you are sadly mistaken. Half the pan was gone by bed time yesterday and two and a half more pieces were eaten today. I justify eating all that yummy goodness by trying to drink at least one 20 oz cooler of water for each piece of cobbler. My dairy farmer husband has tried to stress the importance of drinking water for the lactating cow/wife. I try to be a good wife/cow.
Now I will run off and try to think of something else I can make tomorrow, the chocolate cobbler will be gone by noon. I am leaning toward a batch of cookies. Grace loves to help me cook so maybe we can whip up a batch of my grandma's Delicious Cookies while Micah takes his morning nap...

1 comment: