July 31, 2010

New Room!

We moved our room into the 3-season porch this week. It seemed like the best use of the space we have. The room has been, for the most part, unused since Eric moved into the house and we needed to either move Micah out of our room or move to another room our self. The third bedroom in our house is in the basement, far, far away from the other rooms. I had no desire to move so far away from my babies and even less desire to move either of them down there.





We had a garage sale last weekend and were able to get rid of most of the unused furniture that had been taking up room in the porch. Other than the fact there is no air-conditioning, it is a really fun space. I love that there are windows all the way around the room, once it is no longer hot outside we will probably be able to leave the blinds open more.



One of the windows didn't have anything covering it so I put up a set of curtains my sister Rachel gave me. While I was cleaning up the room so it would be livable one of the blinds broke and is now unusable leaving another window uncovered. I'm not crazy about the blinds and since the one broke so easily I'm a little worried that the rest are on their last leg as well. Which brings me to where you, my gentle reader, come in! Should I go with what is already there and start replacing blinds as they break or should I go an entirely different direction? I kind of like the idea of curtains and would be willing to make them myself since they are pretty easy. We have also gotten shades from Ikea before that were very inexpensive and come in several sizes. Important because we have three sets of double windows, a set of three and the window on the door to cover, all different sizes.


Should I keep it simple and go with white, or a shade of white for the windows? There is so much going on in the room with the wood walls, glass cupboards and mismatched dressers that I'm a little worried about getting too crazy with the windows. I would kind of like something that blocks out the sun for when I get to sleep in or when Eric has to sleep during the day. Something room darkening would probably help keep it cooler in the summer as well. Is it best to go with a light color for the windows but make it lined or to go with a dark, heavier material? Solid colors? Patterns? Stripes??? Oh, and cheap, let's not forget cheap. Maybe I should just tack a towel or sheet over the uncovered window and call it a day. Hahaha

2 comments:

  1. I think you should go for a beachy look since you have the knotty pine walls. Either light, solid colored curtains or something with stripes (a la Pottery Barn) would be cute. You could make the curtains pretty cheaply but curtain rods might get a little spendy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many choices! We have used a light colored yet sun blocking shade in our living room - whatever you choose to do will be great as usual!

    Love, Wendy

    ReplyDelete