February 16, 2015

Working Mom

There have been a few changes around here.  I started a job last week.  It is as a substitute para at the local school system. I chose subbing at school instead of a full time job at this point because we still have two kids at home with me and school jobs have summer break just like the kids do.  Also, with subbing, I can pretty much choose my own hours.  The lady that interviewed me said that our district has several positions that go unfilled everyday so there should be no problem finding work.  I can work around the days that grandma can watch my kids thus saving money on daycare.  This job does not pay a ton of money so if I had to pay regular price for daycare it would be out of the question.  The short term goal is to work more days once the kids are all in school full time.  At that time I will keep my eye out for any other job at the school that would work for me.  With my business degree, I am hoping for some kind of office job. 

I have worked two days so far, one at Grace's school, and one for a school in a nearby district.  I was a little worried before the first day because there is no training or orientation of any kind.  The instructions were to show up at the school office and ask who I would be reporting to.  There was no reason to worry, both schools were so helpful and gave me very clear instructions.  It is fun to see how different teachers run their classrooms and, in the case of Grace's school, to put some faces to the names I already knew of teachers and staff. 

The boys love going over to grandma's house and playing with cousins all day.  I like that I still have some time during the week to get things done around the house and go grocery shopping.  Being a stay at home mom, I have been grocery shopping week day mornings as much as possible.  I am not looking forward to the day when I only have time to go on evenings and weekends, the stores are so busy!  I just remember trying to shop on Saturday afternoon with three very young kids.  We almost always went to only one store and still I would need a nap when we got home.  This time it will be better since they are older and Eric is home most Saturdays to watch a couple of them for me. 

This new adventure is kind of fun, it will be exciting to see where the job leads me and what I will be able to get when all three are in school!

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited you were able to get a position at the school! I hope you enjoy getting out a little during the week. (I finally figured out if I post as anonymous it won't use my google account which it never would accept before.)
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are enjoying your new adventure! Mom

    ReplyDelete